Wednesday, May 29, 2013

8 Beliefs that Make You More Resilient


What you believe either weakens you or makes you stronger.
Running through water

 
1,929
Share
Most people live lives of quiet desperation because they focus on things that they cannot control: outside events, things that happened in the past, what other people are thinking... As a result, they fail to focus on what they can control: their own thoughts and beliefs, their own attitude, their own emotions, and their own behavior.

Of these four things, by far the most important are your thoughts and beliefs, because what you believe about life largely determines how you see, feel (your attitude and emotions) and what actions you take (your resulting behavior.)

Here are eight personal beliefs that not only will propel you completely out of desperation but give you the emotional stamina to handle just about anything the business world throws at you. Here they are:

1.  If I allow success to make me complacent about staying motivated and moving forward, today's success can breed tomorrow's lethargy. Embrace opportunity and enjoy the challenge.
2. I learn more from failure than from success. Failure renews my humility, demands and sharpens my objectivity and makes me more resilient. Learn from lessons.
3. Goals that contain the phrase "I'll try..." are half-commitments. If I want goals that truly motivate me, I use phrases like "I will" and "I must." Strive to achieve.
4. What holds most people back is fear of failure - yet if I don't take action, I'll fail by default, so what have I got to lose? Feel the fear and do it anyway: great motto.
5. What I say reinforces what I think, so if something is about to come out of my mouth that doesn't serve my purpose, I simply keep my mouth shut. Watch the words you use internally also, treat yourself with utmost respect.
6. I am responsible for my own happiness, so when other people are unkind to me, it reminds me to be kind to myself and forgive them for not knowing what is best for all of us.
7. There are five magic words that make even the most difficult situation easier to handle. Those magic words are: "Do not take it personally."
8. While there are situations (such as a death in the family) where strong emotions are appropriate, most business situations are not worth even an ounce of misery. Keep things in perspective, with peace of mind at the forefront. 

~with thanks to Geoffrey James

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive